Thursday, February 27, 2014

Griffey Strikes Again

In college, my boyfriend at the time (husband now), called me Griffey (after Ken Griffey Jr) because I was constantly injured while on the rowing team. At one point, I had a strained groin, callouses/blisters on my hands, a blister on my ear drum and an ear infection, so injured and sick. I would also walk in to class (late) with ice on various parts of my body, the aforementioned groin, shoulder....the list goes on.

Well, as it happens, shortly after I posted last time about my sprained ankle and my gracefulness on ice. I stubbed my toe, like I do hundreds of times each year. Yes, I really am that clumsy. But this stubbing was different. This one hurt, it hurt bad. After taking a few deep breathes and fighting back tears (yes I still cry, get over it) I continued on with my business and then hobbled my way back to the couch. I sat for a while and watched it bruise and swell. I sent my husband a text saying "I think I broke my toe" his response was "What did you do this time?" "I walked into a wall about 30 minutes ago and it still hurts." I had an event that night and had to tough it out. By the time I got home, I was in a ton of pain. My husband looked at it, he's normally one to down play my injuries, so if he says it looks bad, that really means it looks horrible. I didn't go to the doctor because what's the point in this case? They're going to x-ray it and wrap it up. I can wrap it myself.

So, here we are two weeks later. And it still hurts. I have a few more weeks before I really have to start training for Prague but I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Within two months, I sprain my ankle and break a toe. Not a good track record. I'll keep you updated on my progress and I'm waiting for the day when Brian decides I need to live in a plastic bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment